Media Center Resources
The mission of the school library is to build a community of independent life-long readers and learners by fostering the spirit of curiosity and choice, by teaching the skills to think critically and creatively, and by providing access to a well-managed, high-quality, diverse collection of resources that meet academic and personal needs.
Purchases for school library materials are based upon:
- Support for curriculum
- Student/staff requests - professional reviews are checked for appropriateness of the materials for the grade level
- Weeding items that are deemed outdated or not used by patrons to make space for new items
- Reviews from professional organizations are used to sort for age/grade level recommendations and summaries/topics that the material covers
- Parents interested in volunteering can contact the building Library Media Specialist for more information.
- Parents interested in being more involved in their child’s library reading choices can:
- Arrange a meeting with the school media specialist to learn more and discuss individual questions about the school library
- Sign up for an automatic weekly Destiny email showing what their individual child currently has checked out.
- Access the child's Destiny account to see what book(s) the student has checked out.
- If desired, work with a Media Specialist to set “limits” on a child's account for checking out books. Examples include:
- Note on Destiny that prevents student from checking out specific titles and/or clearly discernible types of books (ie. graphic novels, fantasy….)
- Checkout allowed only with parental permission
- Use of library not permitted (student bring free reading material from home or other source provided by parent)
Book Reconsideration Policy
- Parents who are concerned about the appropriateness of a title can contact the building principal, school librarian, or Instructional Services to receive the proper paperwork.
- Board Policy regarding materials complaint
Online Databases and Resources
- Global Issues in Context
- LitFinder for Schools
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
Michigan e-Library (MEL)< >
Wilson Select Plus - Magazine index - requires MI ID card or driver's license # for home access
MEL Databases by Subject - requires MI ID card or driver's license # for home access
Kids Infobits - requires MI ID card or driver's license # for home access
Enchanted Learning - User name and password available at your media center
Facts for Me - User name and password available at your media center
ACT Online Prep
Living Green and Early Peoples - User name and password available at your media center