Mary A White - Our School
History of Mary A. White Elementary
Mary A. White Elementary opened in January 1959 in honor of Ottawa County’s first teacher. Mary A. White believed in the power of education and looked to all youth as the “promise of hope”.
Mary A. White began teaching at the age of 16 and soon moved to Grand Haven to educate the young children of Reverend Ferry. In 1836 the first public building in Ottawa County was built to serve as a schoolhouse, church and courthouse.
The Mary A. White school was built on ten acres adjacent to Duncan Woods and away from traffic.